Our school received a Changemaker Schools Award in October 2014. One of only five schools chosen nationally, St. Oliver's will engage with Ashoka to help all our children become Changemakers!!
Ashoka is an international organisation which seeks to support social entrepeneurship. In St. Oliver's, we seek to help our children becomes leaders of change and innovation. A number of programmes are currently in place to support this work throughhout the 2018/2021 school years. In September 2020 Dublin City University took over the Changemaker Schools Programme - Developing A Community of Practice. The Programme is now co-ordinated in 15 schools nationally and examines innovation and shares best practice. Ms. Sandra Chute and Ms. Claire O'Mahony will co-ordinate the programme in 2020-2021. The focus of study in 2020-2021 will be Home Learning and Outdoor Classrooms. To date (October 2020) programmes completed as part of this programme have included :
- The Yellow Flag programme which aims to celebrate diversity and multi-culturalism in our school. A co-ordinating Diversity Committee including teachers, parents , pupils, Board of Management and PreSchool helps focus our efforts. a diary of events is included in another section of our website.
- We upgraded our Library facilities in school during this year and then revitalised our school building through various painting and decorating initiatives. These colours will represent our changemaker ethos.
- Our school playground and outdoor classroom completed in 2018.
- Yoga classes introduced for our Infants during the school day (2019).
- We introduced the Friends for Life Programme in sixth class as a pilot project in 2017/2018.
- Roots of Empathy Programme in conjunction with the Stephen Lyne Foundation with our Third Classes in 2018 and 2019.
- A Chidren's Research Advisory Group gathered pupil opinion on the design of our new school extension and presented their ideas and findings to the Board of Mangement and School Design Team in June 2020.
- Our B3 Cafe initiative in conjunction with KASI, established in May 2016, will continue throughout this term.
- We completed our Gaelbhratach Award in 2017 and are involved as apilot school in the CLIL Programme 2019-2022.
- Our Scribblers magazine initiative continues throughout this school year.