Welcome to our school. We aim to make our school a happy, safe place where effective teaching and active learning take place within a Catholic ethos. We are a large, busy and happy school. We welcome children from a wide variety of religious and social backgroungs. We are proud of our school.
St. Oliver's Primary School has 783 pupils with a teaching staff of 52 teachers aided by 19 classroom assistants. The school also has a secretary and a full-time caretaker.
- 27 Mainstream Classes,
- 1 Resource Teachers for Travellers,
- 2 Classes for children with a Mild General Learning Difficulty,
- 1Language Unit,
- 6 Learning Support Teachers,
- 10 Resource Teachers,
- 1 Class for children with a Specific Learning Difficulty
- 3 Teachers assigned to the Teaching of English.
- Administrative Deputy Principal and Principal.
- The Language Class also benefits from the services of a Speech Therapist four days a week from 9.20 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. (Mon. – Thurs.)
- School starts at 9.20 a.m. and ends at 3.00 p.m.
- Lunch breaks are from 11.00 a.m. to 11.10 a.m. and from 1.00 p.m. to 1.30 p.m. There are designated play areas for each class.
- A scheme of afternoon supervision is also based in this school. Under a scheme funded by Kerry County Council, breakfasts and lunches are provided to those who need them.
- Each class from 2nd to 6th is timetabled to go to the Library once a week. A computerised rental and record system applies.
- Each class is timetabled for P.E. in the Halla every week.
- Religion Classes are timetabled for a half an hour per day. Each class standard has a list of prayers Each class is assigned a priest who visits the class occasionally during religion time. Each class has a number of pupils who do not partake in religious instructions. These pupils are assigned other work in the classroom at religion time.
- 5th and 6th Classes are timetabled for French during school hours.
- Killarney Credit Union organise savings in the school for classes 2nd to 6th every Tuesday morning.
- Assembly is held in the Halla at regular intervals.
- A student council is nominated from our 6th classes each year
- Swimming classes are organised for 4th and 5th classes during school hours in the spring/summer term.