Our school received a Changemaker Schools Award in October 2014. One of only five schools chosen nationally, St. Oliver's will engage with Ashoka to help all our children become Changemakers!!
Ashoka is an international organisation which seeks to support social entrepeneurship. We seek to help our children becomes leaders of change and innovation. A number of programmes are currently in place to support this work throughhout the 2017/2018 school year. These programmes include :
- The Yellow Flag programme which aims to celebrate diversity and multi-culturalism in our school. A co-ordinating Diversity Committee including teachers, parents , pupils, Board of Management and PreSchool helps focus our efforts. a diary of events is included in another section of our website.
- We upgraded our Library facilities in school during this year and then revitalised our school building through various painting and decorating initiatives. These colours will represent our changemaker ethos.
- We aim to complete our school playground during this school year.
- We have introduced Yoga classes for our Infants during the school day
- We will introduce the Friends for Life Programme in sixth class as a pilot project in 2017/2018.
- We will continue our Roots of Empathy Programme in conjunction with the Stephen Lyne Foundation with our Third Classes in 2017/2018.
- We will hold class meetings for parents in September 2017.
- We aim to establish a Facebook Page for our school in Autumn 2017.
- Our B3 Cafe initiative in conjunction with KASI, established in May 2016, will continue throughout 2017/2018.
- We completed our Gaelbhratach Award in 2017.
- Our Scribblers magazine initiative continues throughout this school year.